Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Penguin is HERE!


My official due date was October 12. That morning we saw Dr. K, who scheduled an induction for the next Tuesday since nothing much was happening. As the day wore on I felt a little more uncomfortable, but we were supposed to meet friends for dinner. By late afternoon I really wasn't feeling up to dinner at all, but Matt convinced me to go. Our friend Amy had flown in from Madison as a surprise dinner guest! By the time we left dinner the contractions were pretty strong, so we came home and started timing them. They were all over the place so we walked around the block a few times. By 10:45 it was time to call the doctor and my water broke while Matt was on the phone with her. We headed for the hospital pretty soon after that.

Once we were at the hospital things moved quickly. I wanted to try to put off an epidural for as long as possible and managed to hold out until about 7cm. By about 1am it felt like time to push, but the baby just wouldn't move down far enough. We kept trying but finally decided a c-section was the only way and waited for my regular doctor to get there for the surgery. Our friends Amy and Susan came to stay with me in the recovery room. Another friend, Natalie, is a nurse at Trinity and she came over as well. All three of them got to see the baby as Matt wheeled him from the delivery room to the NICU right after delivery.

Amy Weems with Jackson on his way to the NICU


Susan Davis with little Jackson

"Nurse Natalie"



Jackson Foster Wolford was born at 11:32am on October 13, 2011. He measured in at 7 lbs 8 oz and 20.75". Matt still got to cut the umbilical cord. I was so proud of him for making it through the surgery! It was amazing to me how fast the actual surgery was- it took less than 4 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment