Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Postmarked Birmingham


If anyone had told me two years ago that come April 2012 I would be married, with a baby, and moved to South Carolina I would have handed them a tin foil hat and called in Team Prozac.
Just about every advice dispensing source says not to make more than two life changes per year. They are probably right. After Christmas Matt and I made a pact to have "status quo" year. Fate scoffed at our naivete.

We started looking at houses in Birmingham and even made an offer on one that we really liked. Two days later Matt found out about a job opening within his company. We withdrew our offer. A week later we listed our own house. Two weeks after that we made an apartment hunting trip to Greenville, SC. Not too surprisingly our options were a bit limited with a 60lb dog that requires a ground floor apartment and a short term lease. Within 5 weeks we were packed and moved two states away.

Our house in Birmingham should close within the next week. It was my first house and I cried all the way to Talladega to leave it, and although part of me won't miss mowing the giant yard all summer long the rest of me never minded yard work. I dug up as many of my "people" as possible- so many in fact that our back porch looks like an arboretum and we are expecting a friendly notice about tidy porch upkeep from the front office any day now. There is a farmer's market with $2 plants within walking distance. Good luck with that, leasing office lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment